Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays - February 23 - Angel & Apostle


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


My Teaser:

The voice of Pearl, bastard child of Hester Prynne, the adulteress of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, imagining her mother's experience during her time on the scaffold, facing her public condemnation of her sin, with newborn Pearl in her arms:

"I've attended my share of public stripings and shamings-- idle bond servants, Antinomians, vagrant Indians turned lewd by the white man's spirits--and could well picture the greedy masses milling at her feet, snickering over apples and gnawed cheese rinds.  What I couldn't see was my own small self wailing in her arms with no history, no memory."

pg. 10, Angel & Apostle
by Deborah Noyes

Feel free to leave a comment here with any thoughts you have about Angel & Apostle.  If you have a teaser of your own to share, post it here or give us your link!  And while you're at it, share your link on MizB's site as well.  Happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. I like that teaser;makes me want to read more. Here is my teaser:

    http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2010/02/tuesday-teasers_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane:

    Thanks for stopping by! I'll head on over to your teaser now!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Angel and Apostle and really liked it. It made me want to read The Scarlet Letter all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a book; a follow up to the Scarlet Letter! Here's : my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harvee:

    I agree! It's a good idea. Another Scarlet Letter book that came out just recently is Hester by Paula Reed. I'll be reading that one, too.

    I'm going to go stop by your blog next!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! This sounds like a book I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth:

    Thanks for stopping by! Yes, it's a good one. It's inspired me to take another look at the original. So today I bought a copy of The Scarlet Letter at my library's used book store for 50 cents!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am curious by that teaser. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails