CSN.com has thousands of products available on their many websites, from craft supplies to LCD TV Stands to fitness equipment. Recently I ordered the Kitrics Basic Digital Scale for my kitchen. By God’s grace I’ve lost 90 pounds through the First Place 4 Health program. Kitchen scales have always proven to be very helpful in controlling portion sizes. I’ve used many over the years and am very particular about which ones I purchase. My previous kitchen scale was a fine product, but it was worn out and needing replacement.
I chose this Kitrics Basic Digital Scale for a number of reasons:
- Reasonable price - $19.89. Some kitchen scales can run $40 and higher, so this was a nice price point.
- Accuracy – Some scales use a spring action to take their measurements, which can be highly unreliable. Having an electric, digital readout provides for more reliable results.
- Measurements in ounces or grams - I’ve found that grams are useful in measuring dry foods like breakfast cereal, whereas ounces are best for measuring liquids. So having both systems of measurement is important to me
- Sensitivity – I’m usually happy when a kitchen scale will measure down to 1 gram and 1/8 of an ounce. The Kitrics scale measures down to .01 ounces! I now have a new standard for kitchen scales.
- Easy toggling between grams and ounces – Some scales require that you go underneath the device and flip a switch to do this. In this case, the Power/Tare button is the toggle button.
- Durable platform – I’ve seen other platforms that are made of glass, but I prefer the plastic one here. I have two small children and a stone kitchen floor, so I generally avoid glass products as much as possible.
- Convenient size – I don’t want my kitchen scale taking up too much room on my countertop. This one measures 5” x 6.5” x 1.25”, which is by far the smallest scale I’ve ever owned. It’s streamlined in shape and practically disappears from notice on the counter.
- Convenient battery type – My previous scale required a 9 volt battery, which sometimes was a hassle to replace. The Kitrics sale uses two AA batteries, which I find to be much more convenient.
I think my only minor quibble with the scale is the Power/Tare button. It has three functions—powering on and off, zeroing out the scale (tare) and toggling back and forth from grams to ounces. In order to do that toggle, within 3 seconds of pressing the button to turn the scale on, you have to press the button again to make that change. So if you aren’t quick, you’ll miss it. Or, if the scale has been in use and you have to toggle, then you have to completely power off and then power back on again to toggle. Not a big deal, but I wish it was different.
Overall I’ve been very happy with this product. It’s certainly the best scale I’ve had in a long time. It seems accurate, doesn’t take up a large amount of space on my counter, and does what I need it to do. The Kitrics Basic Digital Scale is a great choice for precise measurement and portion control.
CSN.com Giveaway - Now Closed
Would you like to get a Kitrics Basic Digital Scale, and some other items in addition to that? Enter to win our CSN.com giveaway, and if your entry is chosen, you’ll be given a code worth $60! Go shopping for all manner of things on any of CSN’s many websites. Here are the giveaway details:
- Leave a comment below; this counts as your only required entry. In order to filter out spam, all comments will not post until I've had a chance to approve them.
- Entries accepted until 11:59pm EST on Sunday, April 24th.
- The winners must supply a US mailing address for prize shipment.
- Make sure at least one posted comment includes your email address. If you'd rather not have your email posted here, you may contact me directly to give me that information after you've entered here.
- I will compile the entries and the two winners will be chosen by Random.org, so even one entry can make you a winner.
- Should you win, I will contact you on Monday, April 25th. Please take measures to ensure that my email will make it past your spam filters, lest you miss my message. (CalicoCritic@gmail.com) You'll have 72 hours to respond before I pick another winner.
- The winner will be given a CSN.com promotional code worth $60, good on only one order (so use as much as you can!).
- More information on the giveaway policies can be found on the Contact / Policies page.
Please make note of all your bonus entries in your comment(s). You may post either separate comments or a single large comment. Here are your bonus entry options:
- Follow The Calico Critic by clicking on the Google "Follow" button on my sidebar (old or new followers both get the bonus entry, just please let me know your follower name).
- Follow me (@LHartness) on Twitter and tell me your @UserName.
- Tweet about the giveaway on Twitter.com; be sure to use an URL linking back to this blog posting in your tweet. You may do this as frequently as every 8 hours between now and April 24th at 11:59pm EST. For each tweet, please come back and post the direct URL link to that specific tweet, not just your @Username.
That's it! Thanks for stopping by, and good luck to all the entrants!