Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reflecting on the Season: Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus


I don't know about you, but there have been many years when the Christmas season has gone by in such a rush, I've hardly had a chance to enjoy it.  This year I'm committing to take some time each day to reflect on the true meaning of the Season-- the birth of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Starting today, I'm going to be reading Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus, edited by Nancy Guthrie.  Within this slim book are 22 short readings for Advent, written by many well known and respected authors, both historical and contemporary.  Some of these wise individuals include:

  • Martin Luther
  • Charles Spurgeon
  • Jonathan Edwards
  • St. Augustine
  • John Piper
  • Randy Alcorn
  • Francis Schaeffer
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Tim Keller
  • Joni Eareckson Tada

I encourage you to seek out this or similar means of reflecting on the Season this year, before time gets away from us.  Holiday shopping, yummy baked goods, decorations and Christmas carols are a wonderful blessing this time of year.  But let's not forget how it all got here in the first place, and how everything continues to hold together through Him.




The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.  

Colossians 1:15-17

5 comments:

  1. Good reminder to stop and remember what Christmas is all about.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes-- and these readings have been helpful in keeping my head screwed on straight (or at least, straighter!) during this busy season!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm a new follower of your blog. This looks like a good book for reflection. I'll have to put it on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

    Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cathy! Yes, it was a good addition to my Advent season.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails