From VeggieTales creator Phil Vischer comes the fourth volume in the What's in the Bible? series of DVDs from Tyndale Kids, Battle for the Promised Land. Each volume presents different segments of the Bible, making the history and wisdom within God's word easier to understand for children and their families.
While Phil's VeggieTales (VT) relied primarily on animation to share their stories and lessons, What's in the Bible? uses several mediums in which to engage children. There is some animation, but there are also live actors, and most prominently, hand puppets. There is more of a variety show feel than one individualized story. VT fans will recognize many of the voices and accents from years before, and they are once again very funny and entertaining.
I must admit, when first exposed to this series, I was very skeptical about the use of hand puppets. I just didn't think they could be as witty as VT. But like the other volumes in this series, Battle for the Promised Land pulls it off. While they're dealing with important spiritual lessons, they're still alot of fun and bring plenty of laughs. There are several in-jokes that some may miss, but adults and VT fans will catch them. My personal favorite is a wall clock with a unique time zone location.
The disc also comes with some fun extras. There’s a bonus animated short with Quacky the Duck that addresses loving others, especially our enemies. This short will especially appeal to younger viewers. The Show Outtakes track is hysterical, and there’s a “deleted scene” from the minivan-riding boy Michael that has a bit of Monty Python-esque humor.
I watched this DVD with my two boys, ages 10 and 5. Both of them loved it, asking to repeat certain scenes because they enjoyed them so much. I also did a quick interview with my elder son Matthew, who had long caught the giggles when I shot this video and was a little shy about looking into the camera:
So as you can see, this is not only an entertaining program, but it really would be a great series to watch as a whole family. As an adult, I didn’t find the childish humor annoying—rather, I found myself laughing along with the kids. And I personally learned a few things about God’s word, which of course was beneficial to me as well. This is a wonderful series, and I look forward to the upcoming Volumes 5 - 13.
Tyndale would like one of my readers to have Battle for the Promised Land. If you’d like to enter to win a copy of this fun DVD, here are the contest guidelines:
- Leave a comment below; this counts as your only required entry.
- Entries accepted until 11:59pm on Saturday, December 4th
- US Addresses Only.
- Prize will be awarded in the form of a Tyndale House Publishers Free Product Award Certificate, to be redeemed at your local Christian bookstore.
- If there is no Christian bookstore in your area, you may order direct from Tyndale by filling out the form on the back of the coupon and mailing it to Tyndale at the address they provide.
- In the local bookstore, winner may be required to pay sales taxes where applicable, per Tyndale's contest rules.
- Per Tyndale's rules, none of my family members may participate. (Sorry, Jennifer!)
- Make sure at least one posted comment includes your email address. If you'd rather not have your email posted here, you may contact me directly to give me that information after you've entered here with your basic comment.
- I will compile the entries and the winner will be chosen by Random.org, so even one basic entry can make you a winner!
- Should you win, I will contact you on Sunday the 5th for your mailing information. Please take measures to ensure that my email will make it past your spam filters, lest you miss my message! (CalicoCritic@gmail.com) You'll have 72 hours to respond before I pick another winner.
- More information on the giveaway policies can be found on the Contact / Policies page.
Please make note of all your bonus entries in your comment(s). You may post separate comments or a single large comment. Here are your bonus entry options:
- Follow The Calico Critic by clicking on the Google "Follow" button on my sidebar (old or new followers both get the bonus entry, just please make sure I can tell what your follower name is).
- Follow me (@LHartness) on Twitter and tell me your @UserName.
- Tweet about this ARC giveaway on Twitter.com; be sure to use an URL linking back to this blog posting in your tweet. You may do this as frequently as every 8 hours between now and December 4th at 11:59pm EST. For each tweet, please come back and post the direct URL link to that specific tweet, not just your @Username.
Whew! That's it! Thanks for stopping by, and good luck to all the entrants!