Saturday, November 6, 2010

Book Review: Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani


Very Valentine: A NovelI was attracted to Very Valentine for a very shallow reason.  I loved the cover art, and was very intrigued with the young woman on the cover.  The colors just popped and seemed to call my name.  I wondered who the woman was and where she was going in that dress of hers. I somehow never took the time to investigate further, but it has always stayed in the back of my mind as a title that I would look into someday.

TLC Book Tours has given me the opportunity to review Brava, Valentine, the follow-up to Very Valentine.  Unlike some other occasions recently, this time I couldn’t bear to start a series on Book 2. The principal title had to be read first.  But with my schedule as busy as it is, I didn’t have a lot of time to read an “extra” book that wasn’t officially one of my review obligations.  I hoped Adriana’s book would read quickly.

Not only did Very Valentine read well, but it was such a treat!  I went into it knowing very little about the story—I purposefully didn’t read plot summaries or other reviews.  As such, it felt like I was opening a surprise gift from out of nowhere. Adriana’s writing is sumptuous as the food she describes, as lovely as the fashions and locations she depicts.  One minute she was profound enough for me to post quotes of her work on Goodreads and another minute she was making me laugh.  I was impressed with her discretion as she left out the sexual details that are so common in novels today, even in some of the Jane Austen-inspired titles that I enjoy.

I loved these characters, especially the titular character Valentine.  According to the dates in the book, I’m about 4 years older than she is, so I’m close enough in age to be able to relate to her.  Maybe not so much in her struggles between work and love life, but certainly in some of her mindsets as a woman.  Her journey as daughter, sister, girlfriend and working woman provided plenty of interesting material.

I gobbled up Very Valentine as if it was one of the many delicious Italian meals she describes in the book.  It was invigorating, making me feel like I’d been on vacation and had a sumptuous meal, but without the cost to my wallet or waistline!  I'm glad I took the time to read it, and now I'm ready to see where she’s headed in the second book of the trilogy, Brava Valentine. Onward!



***GIVEAWAY NOTICE***

 Win an Adriana Trigiani Tour for You and a Friend!

Winner and guest will fly to Italy on March 27th, with the tour going from March 28th - April 3rd, 2011.

Day 1: Arrival in Florence - Cocktail reception and walking tour
Day 2: Art and Monument Tour
Day 3: Arezzo
Day 4: Tuscan Wine Tour and Visit to Etruscan Town
Day 5: Cooking class and visit to Lucca
Day 6: Pisa
Day 7: Depart Tuscany 



To enter, email your name and zip code to
contests@harpercollins.com
 

Click here for more details about the tour!
Click here for full sweepstakes rules.

CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD ENDS DECEMBER 1st!














CymLowell

4 comments:

  1. Great review. The cover is very nice, I want to know more about her too. It sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Well, you've definitely made me want to read it! I love women's fiction that can be profound but fun at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish:

    Well, I certainly wouldn't find the book in the Philosophy section of the bookstore, but there were many times when I wanted to highlight some of the things Andriana had written. There were lots of thoughts on life & relationships that I could relate to or hadn't thought of in that way before.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails