Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins


Recently I read a Time magazine article on Suzanne Collins' novel, The Hunger Games, which intrigued me enough to pick up a copy at my local public library. It wasn't long before I was plowing through the book with great enthusiasm. Although I knew the book to be the first in a series, I was terribly disappointed when it ended with a cliffhanger. I couldn't wait to read the second volume, Catching Fire, released about a month ago. My library didn't have a copy of the book, so I began entering as many contests as I could to win a free copy. Things being tight these days, I couldn't afford to splurge on a new book. Fortunately, after entering dozens of times, I managed to win a free copy from RevolutionSF.com. I'm now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the book and Catching Fire promotional items.

The Hunger Games is set in a type of post-apocalyptic world, a genre I've never been particularly attracted to. But Collins' tale of the reluctant heroine Katniss was exciting and eventually drew me in. Katniss' efforts to survive within the world of the Hunger Games were realistic as well as fantastical. I look forward to seeing what happens to her and cohort Peeta in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails